Friday, April 3, 2009

Domestic Goddess: Buttermilk Pie Challenge

Two weeks ago, I was challenged by one of Tom's co-workers, Adrian, to bake a buttermilk pie that was as good as the one they had in Kentucky earlier this year. I've tried three different recipes. The first one was terrible, but the second and third recipe I've tried we're pretty good. The second one had great flavor and the right amount of sweet for me. The third one had a more creamy consistency, great taste, but a little too sweet for me. For you Sidney or Piqua people that have experience The Spot's Old Fashion Cream pie, the taste is very similar. Since, I couldn't decide which one I liked better, I've decided to post both recipes and the website links. :)

If you like to bake Aunt Ruthie's Sugar Pie Farmhouse is a great website. She started putting recipes up on her blog and recently moved from a blogspot account to a .com website. This is where I found the two recipes that I liked the best. http://www.sugarpiefarmhouse.com/

Sister Lizzie's Buttermilk Pie:
(On the website I posted above, she also has a recipe for a pie crust. I haven't tried it yet. I used a store bought one...yeah, yeah...I know, it's not as good)

Ingredients:
White sugar (1-1/4 cup)
Flour (3 TBS)
Eggs (4 whisked)
Buttermilk (1 cup)
Vanilla (1-1/2 tsp)
Butter (1/2 cup, melted and cooled)
Nutmeg (pinch)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.

In a mixer, combine the flour and sugar. Next, stir in the eggs and buttermilk. Then, add the butter, vanilla, and a pinch or two of nutmeg.

Pour into pie shell and bake at 425 for 15 minutes then 350 for 40 more minutes. See if the pie center sets and if it does, let it cool and then chill. (To check if the pie sets, tap the side of the pie plate. Since this pie is more of a custard consistency, it should be a little jiggly. When the center sets, it's more stable in the middle than on the sides. If the center jiggles a little, it's ok to take out.)




Buttermilk Pie from YouTube:
Get your pen and paper ready! This recipe actually comes from a southern gal named India Galyean. She was kind enough to put this on YouTube. I found this link from the Aunt Ruthie's website I mentioned earlier. This is the recipe that has more of the custard consistency, and I thought was a little too sweet. (Tom thought it was just right..hehe). India also shows how to make a quick salty pie crust, which I actually did make and enjoy. This is a great recipe. The only thing I would change for the next time is to decrease the sugar content by either 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup. Enjoy!













From the adidas group, I think they favor the second recipe, but you decide for yourself! I hope you are all doing well...miss you...:)


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment