Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Domestic Goddess: Pork Chops and Apples

To motivate me to cook, I've decided to post about recipes. I'll try and post a new recipe every month. I decided to post "pork chops and apples" first because it's Tom's favorite. I'll warn you, the apple part of the recipe is pretty sweet, if you don't like sweet this recipe is definitely not for you. Also, most of you already know this, but I'm a beginner cook so none of the recipes are going to be fancy schmancy. Feel free to post if you have any suggestions! :)


Servings: 2

Ingredients:
Pork chops (2-4, depending on size of chops)
Apples- cored, peeled and sliced (2 or 3, depending on how much you like apples)
Garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
Egg
Flour (1/4 cup)
Bread crumbs- I use seasoned (1/2 cup)

Ginger (1/4 tsp)
Cornstarch (1 TBS)
Cinnamon (1/2 tsp)
Nutmeg (1/4 tsp)
Soy sauce (1 TBS)
Brown sugar (1/2 cup)
Apple juice (1/2 cup)
Butter (1 TBS)

Part 1: Pork chops
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Prepare 2 small plates, one with flour and another with bread crumbs. In a bowl, beat 1 egg. Set aside. Season pork chops with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides. Dredge pork chops first in flour, then egg, and finally bread crumbs. Heat a little olive oil in a medium size frying pan until medium high heat. Then fry chops for about 2-3 min per side or until browned. When they are browned, place the chops in a baking dish and put it in the oven to bake for 35 min.





Part 2: Sweet Cooked Apples (start about 15 minutes before pork chops are done)
Put brown sugar, apple juice, soy sauce, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, and butter in a sauce pan. On medium heat mix all the ingredients and wait until the butter melts. Once it is well mixed, add the apples. Make sure all the apples are coated in the sauce. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and the sauce should thicken. Stir occasionally. I like my sauce with all of these flavors and for it to be as thick as syrup. If you don't have the soy sauce, ginger or nutmeg, don't worry...the goal of the apples is to get a nice sugary, cinnamony apple taste and if you omit those ingredients, it'll be ok. I just like the mix of flavors. :)

You can cut the apples whatever way you want, but I prefer to cut them in thin slices like the smaller slice on the left. When they are on the thin side, they cook through faster.


Once chops are finished baking...pour apples and sauce over chops. There is a nice salty and sweet going on in the dish, and also, we think mash potatoes go well with it. (see first picture)

Note: I made up this recipe by combining a few of the pork chop recipes I found from online. Also, about the sauce, you can use it (minus the apples) as a marinade when you grill. You can also substitute the apple juice with another like pineapple juice and have grilled pineapples with it. We haven't tried it yet, but I bet this marinade goes well with chicken. Anywho...these are just extra ideas for you to play with.

My next post will be a dessert recipe. I have one more recipe to try before I post the one I think is best. :)
Thanks for reading!!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. You are adorable! I'm sure I'll try this recipe soon.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete